HAPPY NEW YEAR!
In order to help you accomplish all of those resolutions, we wanted to help
you with some simple strategies to help you increase energy RIGHT AWAY.
Whether you want to lose weight, spend more time with loved ones, or get more organized. Energy plays a vital role in helping us meet our goals.
1) Avoid refined foods- packaged foods not only don’t add any nutritional value, but actually deplete our precious nutrient stores in order to metabolize these “food-like” substances, that are chalked full of chemicals, artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners. They contain harmful pesticides, preservatives, sugars and poor-quality fats like vegetable or soybean oils.
PRO TIP: Shop on the outer perimeter of the grocery store to find the freshest produce, eggs and dairy products.
2) Drink more water- water is essential for almost every bodily function and is what helps us transport vital nutrients throughout the body. Often times hunger pangs are mistaken for thirst. Making sure you’re getting enough water will help your body maintain energy throughout the day.
NOT SURE HOW MUCH? Drinking at least half your body weight in fluid ounces per day will help you stay adequately hydrated.
3) Eat a balanced breakfast- Starting the day off with a balanced breakfast (within an hour of waking) will help you to jumpstart your metabolism, balance your blood sugar (more on that in a sec) and help you set the tone for the entire day with a healthy dose of protein, fats and carbohydrates.
MY FAVORITE BREAKFAST: 2 over-easy eggs, sautéed greens and sliced avocado
ON-THE-GO? Blend up one of our delicious protein shakes with some fresh fruit, a handful of greens and some coconut oil or chia seeds for a quick, healthy breakfast
4) Support your digestive system- The digestive system is meant to breakdown nutrients and eliminate waste and toxins. If not working properly, toxins and waste build up, and nutrients are not broken down and absorbed. This leaves us bombarded with build-up and depleted in building blocks needed for energy.
PRO TIP: Drink 1-3 tsp of raw apple cider vinegar, diluted in a couple ounces of water 10-15 minutes before meals to stimulate your body’s own digestive process.
5) Balance blood sugar- balancing blood sugar could be its own blog post, but by helping your body to stabilize its response to glucose—our main energy source, we are able to help balance out energy and mood. Eating 3 balanced meals and 2 snacks every few hours, along with adequate plant and animal protein will help you to balance blood sugar and have the sustained energy you’ve always wanted.
PRO TIP: Packing nuts, seeds, and low glycemic fruit like apples, citrus and berries will help you plan for success in any situation.
Find out how these tips, along with a customized meal, supplement plan and supportive- lifestyle changes can help you to be your best, healthiest self in 2020!
–Rachel Forman-Lau, NC, ACN